ALLA PRIMA PAINTING WITH DAVID SHEVLINO, NOVEMBER 3-5 2023
- Registration Open – Limited to 12
- Artist: David Shevlino
- Dates: November 3-5, 2023
- Materials: Listed in Description 1 Month Before Workshop
- Cost – $549
- No discounts or coupons may be used for workshops
11 in stock
Join David Shevlino in a small-group setting, where you will learn his Alla Prima Painting technique!
In this class we’ll paint alla prima (wet into wet) and explore painting different subjects from photos, including the portrait and figure. We’ll talk about techniques for simplifying the subject and learning to paint with directness and economy. Be prepared to work with large brushes for creating big bold strokes of paint. We’ll also talk about basic painting concepts, such as value, color, composition and how we use our painting knowledge to interpret photos, rather than copy, so that they can become successful paintings. Students will need to submit photos for instructor approval before the class.
Friday through Sunday 9:30 - 4:30
- Students need 1-2 canvas/panels for each day of the workshop
- Neutrally toned gray canvas or panel
- panel/canvas sizes range
- 14 x 18 to 16 x 20 inches. You can use Liquitex neutral gray #5 to tone your canvas
*Note: Your painting surfaces must be dry before beginning class. If you decide to tone with oil paint, make sure they have time to dry before the class
- Brushes: filberts, flats of varying sizes. Avoid soft synthetic brushes and brights. For stiff synthetics I recommend Rosemary Ivory series or Silver Brush Bristlon series.
- For a natural bristle, any good quality manufacturer will do. (Robert Simmons, Silver brush, Rosemary etc.)
- NOTE: Bring at least 2 brushes which are ¾” and 1” wide
- Oil Paints
- Titanium white
- Cadmium red light or equivalent
- Cadmium orange or equivalent
- Burnt sienna
- Yellow ochre
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine blue
- Cadmium yellow light
- Viridian green
- Azo Green- M Graham
- Raw umber
- Refined linseed oil, but not cold pressed (NO STAND OIL)
- Odorless mineral spirits for rinsing/cleaning brushes
- Rags or paper towels
- Palette AT LEAST 11 x 14 or bigger
- Paint cups or old cans
- NOTE: Bring jars or cans for your thinner at least 3” in diameter
- Jar with lid for used paint thinner.
Registration is Open! Limited to 12 Students!
November 3-5, 2023
Cost - $549
MEET DAVID SHEVLINO
David Shevlino studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (certificate ’84) and the University of Pennsylvania (BFA ’92) and the Art Students’ League of NY. His work has been featured in national publications and he has exhibited his work and taught workshops throughout North America and Europe. He has also produced a series of instructional videos about his painting methods.
145 W. Main St., Suite 110
Tustin, CA 92780
**Park in parking lot or on the street.
Airport and Hotels
If you are flying in, the closest airport to the studio is Santa Ana - John Wayne Airport. It is about 5 miles away from the studio, with several hotels nearby as well. Our clients' favorite hotels are listed below.
*there are hotels closer to the studio, but several that I DO NOT recommend. If you have questions about hotels, please reach out to me at email@example.com.
Covid Guidelines: We are staying current with the CDC Guidelines. At this time, masks are not required, but students are welcome to wear one if they choose to.
Workshop Policies: Due to limited class size, payment is non-refundable, but is transferable ONLY if the workshop sells out. If you purchase a workshop and are unable to attend, AND if there is a wait list for the course, we will offer your spot to a person on the wait list. If someone on the wait list is able to take your spot, we will reimburse you your tuition, minus a $75 admin fee for handling the replacement. If you are unable to attend the workshop, and the workshop has not sold out with a wait list, we will not be able to refund your purchase.
***These policies also apply to a Zoom workshop.
There are no reviews yet.