PAINT AND DESIGN WITH MIKE CARSON – SEPT 14-17
- Registration Open
- Instructor: Mike Carson
- Dates: September 14-17
- Materials: Listed below
- Cost – $699
- Levels – Beginners through Advanced
- Read Studio Policies HERE
- Limited Spots – 12 Max
1 in stock
In this workshop, Mike will demonstrate his process and approach to painting both portraits and figures. Mike will demonstrate his technique of “drawing” with paint, as well as show other techniques or “tricks” to simplify the figure, which can be a daunting task for many oil painters. He will discuss the balance between representational technique and instinctive design decisions that can transform an academic figure study. The idea is to better enhance and evolve your own personal style by remaining free to manipulate the painting as you envision it. In this workshop, students will feel as if they are in Mike's personal studio, watching how he works day to day to create his beautiful artworks.
Schedule for Days 1-4:
- 9:45 - Doors open
- 10:00 – 1:00 - Demo
- Mike will share with the students how he works from reference photos. He will walk through his process of design and paint, and share with the students how to create a piece using several reference photos. Students will experience his thought process each day as he continues to add to his painting, working through issues, adding and taking away from the design, and more.
- 1:00 - 2:00 - Lunch
- 2:00 - 5:00 - Student work time. Mike will offer support to students throughout this time. A smaller class size means more one-on-one per student.
- 5:00 - Class ends
Registration is Open!
*Please read studio policies prior to registration
These are all suggestions as we can get by with any art materials. This is what I will most likely be using, but not mandatory. Keep in mind the studio will not have supplies for you.
- Ampersand Gesso Board -
- 2 - 3 panels - 12x16, 16x20, or 18x24 - whatever you are comfortable working on.
- Holbein Yellow Grey
- Rembrandt Warm Grey
- Old Holland Schevenings Purple Brown
- Old Holland Brilliant Yellow
- Titanium White
- Holbein Sap Green
- Williamsburg King's Blue
- Richeson - Ice Blue
- Winsor Newton
- Ivory Black
- French Ultramarine
- Refined Linseed Oil
- Princeton Bright Summit - 6, 8 (2 each)
- Princeton Filbert Dakota - 2 (2 each)
- Larger brush for background
- Other tools - palette knife, wedge, etc.
- Brush cleaner - Gamsol or other cleaning methods
- Paper towels
- Anything that you will need to paint - studio does not have supplies for you
***Please be prepared to handle your own shipping or packaging of your paintings as I do not have a service for this. instructor demo may or may not be filmed. Studio does not carry supplies.
***Please read through our Covid-19 Policies - HERE
145 W. Main St., Suite 110
Tustin, CA 92780
Airport and Hotels
If you are flying in, the closest airport to the studio is John Wayne Airport. It is about 5 miles away from the studio, with several hotels nearby as well. Our clients' favorite hotels are listed below.
*there are hotels closer to the studio, but several that I DO NOT recommend. If you have questions about hotels, please reach out to me at email@example.com.
Workshop Policies: Due to limited class size, payment is non-refundable, but is transferable ONLY if the workshop sells out. If you purchase a workshop and are unable to attend, AND if there is a wait list for the course, we will offer your spot to a person on the wait list. If someone on the wait list is able to take your spot, we will reimburse you your tuition, minus a $75 admin fee for handling the replacement. If you are unable to attend the workshop, and the workshop has not sold out with a wait list, we will not be able to refund your purchase.
***These policies also apply to a Zoom workshop.