NOT THE USUAL SUSPECTS
- Class is Open!
- Instructor – Kathy Lewis
- 4 Lessons/5+ Hours of Instruction
- Lifetime Access/Downloadable Content
- Private Group
- Course Price – $119
Do You Enjoy Working with Clay? Would You Like to Learn to Create Unique Sculptures with an Interesting Story?
Join Kathy Lewis, aka KJ Allison in her new course - NOT THE USUAL SUSPECTS! The focus of this course is to create quirky, character figures out of clay, using new and exciting techniques. Kathy will be teaching three main projects - the Bird Watcher, the Messenger, and Bunny Loves. Each lesson will offer new skills to add to your clay building repertoire! If you have taken Kathy's past classes, they will certainly open more doors, but it is not necessary to have taken any of her previous classes to participate in this one! We will explore varied techniques both in construction and with finishing details in this course so that you can create any type of fun and interesting suspect you want! We hope to see you in class!
By the end of this course students will have an understanding of the following concepts:
- Create armatures for clay figures
- Apply clay to simple clay figures.
- Create accessories for your figures (dress using collage, tiny birds, toy animals, signs to hold)
- Create eyes out of clay
- Explore a simple way to create a tongue
- Experiment with creating simple teeth
- Sand and paint the finished clay figure
- Seal the completed figure
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $119
DESCRIPTION OF LESSONS
Before we get started on our main lessons, we will have ourselves a warm up! This is a lesson to help you prepare for the other lessons in this class. If you would like to have a character with tongue/and or teeth it is helpful to practice first. You can also practice hands. In this warm up lesson, we will also prepare a 'sign' for one of the later lessons, The Messenger. The sign will need to dry prior to creating your messenger. Preparing it ahead of time will give it plenty of time to dry. The best part about creating The Messenger 'sign' is that you can have it display whatever message your heart desires! I have lots of examples for you in class, too!
LESSON 1 - BIRDWATCHER
In Lesson 1, you will learn to create a figure (more of a bust really) complete with actual bust. I call these special beings BIRDWATCHERS. You will collage this figure and use the colors in collage to inform the colors for the painted face. You will also make a little bird(s) to attach to the figure. This is such a happy piece and I have made many variations of it. I will share many sample photos with you to inspire your own, unique BIRD WATCHER.
Lesson 2 is called BUNNY LOVES! I have made several renditions of the BUNNY LOVES, and I even have two types of heads and ears that you will be able to watch me build. Then you can choose to try one, or the other, or both! For this lesson, I will show you how to create a simple figure using a special something, to give it good form! You will have to take the class, to learn more about this! This lesson will involve me sculpting BUNNY LOVES FOXY, but then you will view me painting BUNNY LOVES FLAMINGO. So, again, this lesson offers tons of inspiration for your own, unique BUNNY LOVES.
Our final lesson is titled THE MESSENGER. In this lesson you learn to create a sweet figure holding a sign that will bear a special message. The message can be whatever you feel drawn to. You will watch as I show you how to create simple hands that will hold the sign. I will show you how to sculpt the hands and to paint them. Your character can wear a bear or bunny suit or even a pointy hat. The sky is the limit with these quirky friends! Similar to Lesson 2, you will watch me sculpt one of the messengers and then paint the other.
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $119
MEET KATHY LEWIS - ARTIST/INSTRUCTOR
I began taking online art classes, met Kara Strachan Bullock, and took almost all of the workshops she hosted at her local studio. I was in heaven to have this new friend and later her wonderful studio located less than 20 minutes from home! I also continued online courses and one had a particularly awesome affect on my art journey. It was taught by Jeanne-Marie Webb called "the soulbearers". I would never in a million years have expected to fall in love with sculpting clay! When working with clay I felt peace and joy unlike anything ever before experienced. I have not put it down in four years and continue to find great pleasure in creating with clay. It is my 'go to' art medium. I create purely from the heart having had no formal sculpting education and somehow I am afraid to pursue the art of sculpting in a formal way because I am afraid it would ruin the freedom with which I create. I hope to spread the joy of creating in clay, something that young and old, beginner and experienced can enjoy. I hope you can experience the feeling I heard in my granddaughter's comment recently when she said, "Grandma, I am so happy making this (clay sculpture). It is the most wonderful thing I have ever made."
PRIVATE GROUP JUST FOR YOU!
This course will have a private Facebook group just for you! The artist will be actively involved with the class via Facebook the first four weeks the course is open! After that the course will be a self-study. The artist may or may not be involved after the four weeks. We are looking forward to seeing your artwork!
Below is a list of the supplies that I will be using for the projects in this course. It may appear long but you will have most of the items around the house and will only need to order a few things. However, you are always encouraged to use what you have on hand.
- Jovi Air Dry Clay in White or Gray (not red!)
Tools and Wire
- Wooden Sculpting Tools
- Feather wire texture tool (good to have)
- Needle nose pliers (small craft type)
- Permanent (waterproof) fine liner in size 0.2 or 0.5 or similar. I use UniPen but there are many other good brands
- Paint, any acrylic paint you like. I use golden in these colors:
- Titanium White
- Titan Buff
- Red Oxide,
- Raw Umber,
- Payne’s Gray,
- Yellow Oxide or Yellow Ochre
- Prussian Blue
- Mars Yellow
- I am using transparent shading gray (Golden High Flow Acrylic) a lot lately!
***Your paint can be heavy body or fluid but be sure you at least have white and black in fluid. A new color that I seem to use in EVERYTHING is Matisse Australian Ghost Gum, and I am also loving Jo Sonja’s warm white, sapphire, olive and vermillion. These are the colors I am using but you do not need to get them all. Just use what you have.
- Paint Brushes - Blick Scholastic brushes are cheap and work well, include detail and mid size. Here are some I like:
- Permanent fine liner - size 0.2 or 0.5 or similar. I use UniPen.
- Colorful paper napkin - also called a serviette. Amazon has a lot of options.
- Empty small bottle (tabasco type bottle)
- Matte Medium
- Small piece of sand paper ( 220 or 330 grit)
- Masking tape (lots, get a good sticky one, I use this)
- A few round tooth picks
- Paper towels and/or baby wipes
- Wax Paper
- 2 large size zip lock bags
- Small fine mist sprayer for water
- Rubber gloves, the thin type if you can wear them
- Rolling pin or craft roller for clay or brayer roller
- xacto knife with blade
Note: Sometimes I like to use silicone face molds about 1 inch in size more or less but you don’t have to buy them. You can make a face easily without a mold.
- potters wheel is very helpful but not necessary: I use this one: https://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-no-5-decorating-wheel/
- RUBBER STAMPS, if you have them, small stars, hearts, spirals, alphabets (I did not use in the demos but they are really fun to use when adding textures to your creations. I will show a sample)
- Dust mask (recommended for sanding)
- Plasticina by Jovi: This is non drying clay and great for practice. It is optional but useful and fun.
- Wooden Egg - 1.5 or 1.75 inches. Not larger.
- Ball tool stylus - assorted sized, but on the smaller size.
- Note for Bunny Loves: I used a clay pattern stick to texture my bunny body. You can use a pattern stick, a rubber stamp or any other texturizing method of choice. You may not be able to find the same one I used.
- wooden block 1.5-2 X 3-3.5 X 3/4 inch(I used an old rubber-stamp with the rubber image removed). This is optional for the birdwatcher lesson
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON ACCESSING CLASSES AND SELLING WORK CREATED IN THIS COURSE:
**Upon purchasing your course, you will be asked to create an account. If you have already created an account, after purchase your course will IMMEDIATELY be available under “LOGIN” at the top right-hand of karabullockart.com.
**If your course does not show up, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of the course, all purchases are nonrefundable.
**Please talk to the artist of the course about his/her policy on selling artwork created in this course prior to selling any works created during course. Some artists will allow it, while others do not. Thank you for your support.