That's the Piece You Need to Do
How do being a recovering alcoholic and being an artist go hand-in-hand? What is it like caring for a parent with dementia? How do we avoid falling into artist "traps" so that we can keep being true to ourselves? If any of these topics resonate with you, you’ll love my guest today! I am interviewing Robert Kelley!
Rob Kelley is a fine a contemporary, expressive, portrait and figure artist from Stockton, California. He is a single dad to three children, Dylan, Karsen and Roan. Although he had an extensive education in art, he abandoned art for most of his adult life. That changed, 5 years ago, when his life hit a dramatic shift. At this time, he began looking at why he was in a constant state of low-level unhappiness and discovered that he had abandoned his true and authentic self. He knew that the one thing he needed that had been missing was art! Since then, he have adopted a sink or swim mentality!
In this conversation, Robert shares about life as a recovering alcoholic, how to avoid artist "traps", and staying true to yourself regardless of what the rest of the world is doing. Grab a cup of coffee, or a tall ice-cold Coca-Cola, and get ready for an amazing conversation!
"If you want to do something and you aren't sure how others will respond, THAT'S the piece you need to do! That's the piece you NEED to do!"
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- Daily life during the pandemic!
- Caring for a parent with dementia
- Life as a recovering alcoholic and how it goes hand-in-hand with his art journey
- Avoiding artist "traps"
- What is the thing that all artists should do?
- Robert's newest class CHARCOAL PORTRAIT ON CANVAS
- Robert's upcoming Art Auction that you can participate in!
GROW THE PODCAST
I would love if you could help our podcast to continue to grow! You can do this in three ways!
- SUBSCRIBE - Subscribing is easy! Just click the button in your podcast player to be notified of new episodes! We are currently listed on iTunes, Google Podcasts, and Spotify.
- SHARE - If you enjoy an episode, please share with your friends, write a post about it, or share on Instagram. We want to bring these stories to more listeners and every share counts!
- REVIEW - We always appreciate a 5 STAR REVIEW on iTunes! This helps other listeners to find us and connect with our community! We appreciate your help!
Sign up with your email address to be the first to know about upcoming online classes, in-person workshops, free lessons, give aways and more!
(YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE A 30% DISCOUNT ON SELECT CLASSES!)