PASTEL PET PORTRAITS
- Course is Open!
- Artist – Mika Denny
- 8+ Hours of content
- Lifetime Access/Downloadable Content
- Private FB Group
- Course Price – $99
- All Sales Final
Are You Ready to Take Your Pet Portraits from Ordinary to Extraordinary?
Join Mika Denny in PASTEL PET PORTRAITS where you will learn to create gorgeous, lifelike portraits of your furry friends. Whether you're a beginner or thinking about launching your own pet portrait business, you'll embark on a journey to capture the unique charm and character of cats and dogs through the medium of pastels. Follow along as Mika shows you her process, step-by-step. Learn how to choose the perfect reference image and watch as Mika takes you on a mini photo shoot of her family cat. Discover the secrets behind nailing the likeness and using pastel pencils to create realistic details. Learn Mika's signature layering and blending techniques using PanPastel that add depth and dimension to your work. You'll also acquire the skill to incorporate a breathtaking metallic gold background that enhances your portraits, making them truly memorable. By the end of this course you will be creating extraordinary, pet portraits, that will stand out and take center stage!
By the end of this course students will have an understanding of the following concepts:
- Create realistic animal pet portraits from start to finish
- Learn to select the best pet, reference photo
- Discover tips for taking photos of your pet
- Capture likeness with a simple transfer method
- Explore realistic drawing techniques with pastel and charcoal pencils
- Understand how to block in fur areas with PanPastel application
- Craft memorable backgrounds with a stencil and paint
- Think about composition and matting
- Acquire basic guidelines for pricing your pet portraits
COURSE IS OPEN!
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $99
DESCRIPTION OF LESSONS
Begin your pet portrait journey by delving into the art of selecting the ideal reference photo. Mika will walk you through the process of finding a photo that not only captures your pet's likeness but also their unique personality. Learn how lighting, composition, and expression play a pivotal role in creating a captivating pastel portrait. Have fun with a little mini photo shoot at the end of this lesson with Mika’s family cat.
Nail the likeness in your pet portrait by using a simple transfer technique from a photo reference. Mika unveils her pastel techniques for blending and layering colors. You'll learn the step-by-step process of drawing a cat on toned paper from start to finish.
In this lesson, we will create an unforgettable memorial portrait of a dog. Starting with the creation of a metallic gold mandala in the background. We will then draw a dog using pastel and charcoal pencils along with pan pastel to add just the right touch of realism. Mika will show you how to add those exquisite details that will elevate the quality of your portrait. Don’t forget to watch the last video where Mika discusses pricing if you are looking to sell your pet portraits.
COURSE IS OPEN!
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $99
MEET MIKA DENNY - ARTIST/INSTRUCTOR
Mika is a figurative artist based in Southern California. She was awarded a 4-year scholarship from the Festival of Arts in Laguna Beach to pursue a creative arts degree. Her mixed media portraits capture emotion and dramatic light leaving the viewer wanting to know more about the subject. Her aesthetic leans towards realism, but her approach retains an expressive style. Her work has juried into multiple national exhibitions including the American Women Artists Annual Juried Exhibition “Pushing Forward, Reaching Back”, Martha’s Vineyard Drawing Prize, O’Hanlon Center for the Arts “Women Artists Making Their Mark" and “Brand 50”: National Juried Exhibition of Works on Paper.
OTHER WORKS BY MIKA
PRIVATE GROUP JUST FOR YOU!
This course will have a private Facebook group just for you! The artist will be actively involved with the class via Facebook the first four weeks the course is open! After that the course will be a self-study. The artist may or may not be involved after the four weeks. We are looking forward to seeing your artwork!
Below is a list of the supplies that I will be using for the projects in this course. However, you are always encouraged to use what you have on hand.
- Canson Mi Teintes Pastel Drawing Paper – Pad of Assorted Colors - 12" x 16"
- Strathmore 400 Series Toned Gray Mixed Media Paper Pad - 18" x 24"
- Pastel Pencil Set: (I use Derwent Pastel Pencils – Professional Quality)
- 1- General’s Charcoal Pencil (HB Hard)
- 1- General’s Charcoal Pencil (White)
- Golden Fluid Acrylic in Iridescent Gold (Fine)
- Saral Transfer Paper White 12.5" x 12' Roll
- Pencil Sharpener Handheld (Mine is a Prismacolor)
- Tombow Mono Zero Eraser (2.5 mm Round)
- Gummy Eraser
- Sofft Pastel Sponge Brush (#4 Point Knife w/ 5 Covers)
- Blending Tortillions or Blending Stumps
- Drafting Tape or Artist’s Tape 1” (Note: Painter’s tape can rip your paper)
- Scotch Repositional Spray Mount Adhesive
- Krylon Gallery Series Fine Art Fixatif
- 12” Mandala Stencil – (Available on Amazon - I bought a 9 pack for $9.90)
- The Art Sherpa 3Pc Pounce Brush Set (Stencil sponge or sponge daubers)
- Print outs of your reference photos on 8.5x11” printer paper (color preferred)
- Kemper Tools Ball Stylus Tool - Double Sided .030/.045 (Optional)
- AFMAT Long Point Pencil Sharpener – Rechargeable – Great for charcoal pencils
- Pointed Tip 100% Cotton Swabs (I use Diane’s)
- Scrap piece of Vellum or tracing paper for protecting your work
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON ACCESSING CLASSES AND SELLING WORK CREATED IN THIS COURSE:
**Upon purchasing your course, you will be asked to create an account and go through the purchase process (even if the cost is $0 for a free course). If you have already created an account, after purchase your course will IMMEDIATELY be available under “LOGIN” at the top right-hand of karabullockart.com.
**If your course does not show up, please email us at [email protected]
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of the course, all purchases are nonrefundable.
**Please talk to the artist of the course about his/her policy on selling artwork created in this course prior to selling any works created during course. Some artists will allow it, while others do not. Thank you for your support.