LAND, SEA, AND AIR
- Class is Open!
- Instructor – Kathy Lewis
- 3 Lessons/10+ Hours of Instruction
- Lifetime Access/Downloadable Content
- FB Group
- Artist available 7/13/22 –8/13/22
- Course Price – $129
- All Sales Final
Are You Ready to Create Some Vehicles for Your Air Dry Clay Characters? If You Answered "Yes" Then Kathy Has Something New and Exciting For You!
Join Kathy Lewis, aka KJ Allison in her new course - LAND, SEA, AND AIR! The focus of this course is to create fun and quirky vehicles with little riders. Kathy will be teaching three main projects - the Boat, the Rocket, and Submarine with Wheels. Each lesson will offer new skills to add to your clay building repertoire that Kathy has not taught before! If you have taken Kathy's past classes, they will certainly open more doors, but it is not necessary to have taken any of her previous classes to participate in this one! We will explore varied techniques both in construction and with finishing details in this course so that you can create new and interesting vehicles and characters! We hope to see you in class!
By the end of this course students will have an understanding of the following concepts:
- Create armatures for clay figures
- Apply clay to simple clay figures.
- Create a simple flat-bottomed boat
- Create a submarine with wheels
- Create a rocket ship and stand
- Use collage in your design
- Layer paints to create a rustic look
- Stamp the clay to create interest
- Sand and paint the finished clay figure
- Design characters to go along with the vehicles
COURSE IS OPEN! IMMEDIATE ACCESS!
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $129
DESCRIPTION OF LESSONS
LESSON 1 - FLAT BOTTOMED BOAT AND RIDER
In Lesson 1, we will learn how to make a flat bottom boat (Sea) using Stonex clay. It is similar in feel to the type of clay that would be fired in a kiln but this clay is air dry rather than fired in kiln. It is a very strong clay and has the strength to hold up for the larger vehicle pieces. The rider (a dog) will use Jovi clay (or something comparable) and I have found this clay has the best results for creations using armatures. So these creations require two types of clay and I will share how to achieve the best results with them.
LESSON 2 - ROCKET AND RIDER
The second project is a rocket (Air) with a stand to hold it securely and a cute dog passenger. It resembles an old time coin operated ride we have all seen in front of super markets as kids. In this lesson, we will learn to hand build the rocket. I will show you how to add special features so that you can create your own, unique, rocket!
LESSON 3 - SUBMARINE
The final project is a submarine (Land because it has wheels) and here you will learn how to add wheels to any vehicle. It also has a human face that adds a lot of personality to your vehicle. What is also fun about the submarine is that he has a rider! You can add a dog, and alligator, a human....whatever your heart fancies, you can add! You learn enough techniques in this course to give you ideas and confidence to create something unique and special to you!
COURSE IS OPEN! IMMEDIATE ACCESS!
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $129
MEET KATHY LEWIS - ARTIST/INSTRUCTOR
I began taking online art classes, met Kara Strachan Bullock, and took almost all of the workshops she hosted at her local studio. I was in heaven to have this new friend and later her wonderful studio located less that 20 minutes away from home. I also continued online courses and some wonderful artists had an awesome affect on my art journey. For this class I was mentored and influenced by a favorite sculptor, Jeanine Pennell. This class would not have come to pass were it not for her generous sharing of techniques along with her encouragement. I would never in a million years have expected to fall in love with sculpting clay! When working with clay I felt peace and joy unlike anything ever before experienced. I have not put it down in five years and continue to find great pleasure in creating with clay. It is my 'go to' art medium. I create purely from the heart having had no formal sculpting education. I hope to spread the joy of creating in clay, something that young and old, beginner and experienced can enjoy. I hope you can experience the feeling I heard in my granddaughter's comment recently when she said, "Grandma, I am so happy making this (clay sculpture). It is the most wonderful thing I have ever made."
MORE OF KATHY'S WORK
PRIVATE GROUP JUST FOR YOU!
This course will have a private Facebook group just for you! The artist will be actively involved with the class via Facebook the first four weeks the course is open! After that the course will be a self-study. The artist may or may not be involved after the four weeks. We are looking forward to seeing your artwork!
Below is a list of the supplies that I will be using for the projects in this course. It may appear long but you will have most of the items around the house and will only need to order a few things. However, you are always encouraged to use what you have on hand.
Tools and Wire
- Clay Rib
- Circle Cutters
- Clay Stamp for Wheels - There are many available on Etsy and here is a set from amazon. These are for designs on items with wheels.
- Wooden Sculpting Tools
- Xiem Pottery Tools (optional but useful)
- Silicone sculpting tools and dotting tools set (optional but useful)
- Feather wire texture tool (good to have)
- Wire cutter (crafty type, a really good one that cuts like butter is made by knipex, I have style 71 01 200 but they are expensive. Amazon has them but not needed, craft type will do)
- Needle nose pliers (small craft type)
- Rebar Tire Wire (I used 16 gauge)
- Scoring Tool
- Stainless Steel Scraper
- Paint, any acrylic paint you like. I use golden in these colors:
- Titanium White - fluid or heavy body
- Red Oxide
- Pyrrole Red
- Burnt Umber Light
- Raw Umber
- Payne’s Gray
- Yellow Oxide or Yellow Ochre
- Naples Yellow Hue
- Mars Yellow
- I am using transparent shading gray (Golden High Flow Acrylic) a lot lately!
***Your paint can be heavy body or fluid but be sure you at least have white and black in fluid. A new color that I seem to use in EVERYTHING is Matisse Australian Ghost Gum, and I am also loving Jo Sonja’s warm white and sapphire. These paints are a matte finish which is really great for the riders sitting in the vehicles. These are the colors I am using but you do not need to get them all. Just use what you have.
NOTE: MATTE PAINTS WORK BEST FOR BOTTOM OF SCULPTURE AND FOR SURFACES THAT TOUCH (LIKE WHERE THE RIDER TOUCHES THE VEHICLE)
- Paint Brushes - Blick Scholastic brushes are cheap and work well, include detail and mid size. Here are some I like:
- Round Artist Sponge
- Thin text papers - I use and old miniature dictionary
- Ball tool stylus
- Matte Medium
- Small piece of sand paper ( 220 or 330 grit)
- Masking tape (lots, get a good sticky one, I use this)
- A few round tooth picks
- Paper towels and/or baby wipes
- Wax Paper
- Parchment paper
- 2 large size zip lock bags
- Small fine mist sprayer for water
- Rubber gloves, the thin type if you can wear them
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling pin or craft roller for clay or brayer roller
- NOTE: (Alternatively you can use clay thickness strips which are less expensive and usually come in sets of three. With them you can use any type of wooden roller and can omit the 1/4 inch rolling pin). https://clayartcenter.net/product/chinese-clay-art-by06-bamboo-thickness-strips/
- xacto knife with blade
- Rubber stamp alphabet set - I use a large and small
- Container for water
- Ball Point Pen - Old retractable type to use to imprint clay.
- Palette: I use recycled food containers, paper plates, prepared palette paper, or use whatever you like to put your paints on.
- Winsor & Newton professional spray varnish - one matte, one satin
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON ACCESSING CLASSES AND SELLING WORK CREATED IN THIS COURSE:
**Upon purchasing your course, you will be asked to create an account and go through the purchase process (even if the cost is $0 for a free course). If you have already created an account, after purchase your course will IMMEDIATELY be available under “LOGIN” at the top right-hand of karabullockart.com.
**If your course does not show up, please email us at [email protected]
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of the course, all purchases are nonrefundable.
**Please talk to the artist of the course about his/her policy on selling artwork created in this course prior to selling any works created during course. Some artists will allow it, while others do not. Thank you for your support.