JENNIFER BONNETEAU in THE WONDERS OF WATERCOLOR
- Course is open!
- Instructor – Jennifer Bonneteau
- 8 Lessons/4+ Hours of Instruction
- Lifetime Access/Downloadable Content
- Private Group – teacher active for 4 weeks
- Course Price – $119
Do You Feel Intimidated by the Thought of Painting with Watercolors? Would You Love to Gain Confidence in Your Skills and Inspire Creativity in Your Work?
Whether you’re new to watercolors or you’re an experienced painter, this watercolor course will set you down a path of wonderful exploration as you paint, practice and play with this exciting medium. In The Wonders of Watercolor, you’ll discover how to harness watercolor’s unique, transparent qualities and splashy little surprises to create beautiful, personalized portraits and paintings. The easy-to-follow lessons covering everything from fundamental techniques to more modern methods and materials, will help build confidence and inspire creativity. I hope you’ll join me as we experience the spontaneity and splendor of this beautiful medium together.
By the end of this course students will have an understanding of the following concepts:
- Understand color theory, mixing and layering warm and cool palettes
- Experiment with dry stroke, wet stroke, dry-on-wet and wet-on-wet and more drawing with your brush
- Study principles of watercolor as they relate to color, water flow, transparency and layering
- Create a library of techniques, colors explorations and sketches for reference
- Combine materials and techniques to help you discover marks and effects that speak to your personal style and expression
- Sketch and paint organic forms while practicing precision
- Build confidence and character in your paintings
- Proportions of a face and facial features or freehand portrait
- Experiment with transparent layers to develop values and to bring your portraits to life
- Create dynamic compositions and portraits
- Unlock creativity and tap into your creative flow
- Create contour drawings for expressive and imaginative mark making
COURSE IS OPEN!
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $119
DESCRIPTION OF LESSONS
COLOR - MIXING IT UP WITH WARMS AND COOLS
Our first lesson begins with my favorite subject, COLOR! We’ll be mixing warm and cool primaries (red, blues and yellows) to create 2 primary and 2 secondary watercolor palettes. Once we have our palettes mixed, we’re ready to explore how these beautiful colors show up our pages and how they transform as we layer them on top of one another.
TECHNIQUES, TIPS, AND TOOLS
In this lesson, we’ll not only cover the fundamentals of traditional watercolor painting and tools, we’ll also play with modern and experimental materials to create interesting textures and get our creative juices flowing. We’ll start a visual diary of our work and play so we can track our explorations and progress along the way.
If you’ve ever wanted to construct a face from your imagination, now’s your chance! We’ll cover the general proportions of the face and facial features as we venture step by step though the process of sketching a face, freehand.
Let’s bring our freehand sketches to life using a desaturated palette. We’ll slowly develop value and volume as we paint multiple, transparent layers of color on top of one another. We’ll take our time establishing light and shadow, layer by layer. The goal here is to allow subtle pools of watercolor to create those delicate details in the overlapping layers for an almost “ghostly” effect. We’ll go in with Stabilo pens to allow for greater detail.
Our fourth lesson was designed to help us practice our precision skills by creating patterns like the ones in this sea turtle. Who doesn't love a beautiful turtle with all of his texture and pattern! We will be using an analogous palette and a little salt to create the shapes and textures in this snappy swimmer...and remember, we’re not looking for “perfection” just “progress”.
For this lesson, we will be working with a split complement palette and bold brushwork to build the subtle layers and textures of our portrait. We’ll also introduce a “nexus” or “unifying” color to pull our palettes together and create a more sophisticated, harmonious flesh tone with the underlying complementary colors. In this lesson we will explore and practice multiple watercolor techniques such as dry stroke, wet stroke, dry-on-wet and wet-on-wet and more technical brushwork such as “drawing” with the brush. This will be great practice!
Time for some BIG time fun! This lesson is all about exploring our watercolors, ink and others tools on a much larger scale. We’ll be combining several of our materials along with anything additional you’d like to include, to create large-scale drawings and paintings which will be used in our final compositions.
Finally, we'll sample various possible compositions by combining our drawing or painting from the previous lesson with transparent printed images to compose personalized abstract portraits. Once we’ve created a compelling composition, we’ll transfer the printed image to our underpaintings and fill in the shadow values to bring our portraits out of the background. From there, you’re encouraged to follow your curiosity using the techniques and tools you’ve been practicing throughout the course….and above all, HAVE FUN!
COURSE IS OPEN!
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $119
MEET JENNIFER BONNETEAU - ARTIST/INSTRUCTOR
Hi, I'm Jennifer Bonneteau. I'm an artist, mom and teacher living in southern CA with my husband and studio sidekick, Jasper. I love sharing my passion for art and humanity through my paintings, classes and workshops. My heart’s desire, whether I’m painting or teaching, is to provide opportunities for personal connection, artistic development and just plain joy.
I began my art career as a muralist over 20 years ago. A few years later, I partnered with a good friend and opened a creative business designing art for guitar-pick jewelry. Our growing business and my affinity for creative exploration inspired me to create a home studio where I could explore, make art and share creative techniques and processes with people of all ages and abilities, which I still enjoy today.
I really fell in love with painting in 2014 while taking an online painting course. Once I put the brush to canvas, I couldn’t stop. Painting is a portal to endless possibilities. I feel alive and free when I’m slinging paint in my studio! I especially love to paint people because I feel deeply connected to humanity when I'm pursuing the essence of another human being in their portrait; it's often a spiritual experience. My work is colorful, energetic, and expressive and is inspired by people, places, pleasures and pain I’ve experienced throughout my lifetime.
Art has the power to change lives. It’s certainly changed mine by providing opportunities for self-discovery, hope, and healing. My desire to share these beautiful byproducts of the creative process with others led me to become a certified Expressive Arts Therapy facilitator in 2019. I’m currently working towards developing an Expressive Arts and Creative Coaching practice to help others experience more peace, connection, wellness and joy through the arts.
PRIVATE GROUP JUST FOR YOU!
This course will have a private Facebook group just for you! I will be actively involved with the class via Facebook during the four weeks that the course is open! I am really excited about working through these exercises with each of you!
Below is a list of the supplies that I will be using for the projects in this course. However, you are always encouraged to use what you have on hand.
- Daniel Smith Essential Color Mixing Set OR Watercolors in warm and cool primary colors
- Strathmore 140 lb. Visual Journal or similar quality watercolor paper
- 140 8x10 or 9x12 hot or cold press watercolor paper
- Vellum or transparent printer paper
- #8 Princeton Aqua Elite Long Round brush, medium or #12 filbert brush, #4 fan brush, #4 flat brush, #2 Dainayw mop brush or brushes of your choice
- Old brushes for masking fluid and bleach
- Watercolor mixing palettes with 12-14 wells for mixing colors
- Masking fluid or Elmer’s Rubber Cement
- HB pencil for sketching
- Kneaded eraser
- Stabilo water soluble pens in red, brown and purple (optional)
- Ecoline Brush Pens (optional)
- Black Neocolor II Watersoluble Crayon (optional)
- 2 jars of water, one for clean water and one for dirty
- Paper towels
- Clorox bleach or rubbing alcohol
- Chinese Traditional Ink
- Pipette for bleach
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON ACCESSING CLASSES:
**Upon purchasing your course, you will be asked to create an account. If you have already created an account, after purchase your course will IMMEDIATELY be available under “LOGIN” at the top right-hand of karabullockart.com.
**If your course does not show up, please email us at email@example.com
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of the course, all purchases are nonrefundable.