- Instructor – Kathy Lewis
- 1 Lessons/4+ Hours of Instruction
- Lifetime Access/Downloadable Content
- Private Facebook Group
- Course Price – $69
Are You Ready to Learn to Refurbish Old Dolls into New and Exciting Sculptures?
Join Kathy Lewis, aka KJ Allison in her new course - CENTAUR! The focus of this course is to create new and exciting sculptures by repurposing old dolls. Kathy will be teaching one main project - how to repurpose a doll and create a Centaur. Don't you worry, as with all of Kathy's classes, this mini class is chalk full of inspiration, and new techniques to apply to all of your sculpture work! We will explore varied techniques both in construction and with finishing details in this course so that you can create new and exciting mystical characters! We hope to see you in class!
By the end of this course students will have an understanding of the following concepts:
- Create armatures using paper, wire and masking tape
- Apply clay to simple clay figures.
- Alter an 11-12 inch doll to create a new sculpture.
- Apply ears and antlers to the doll if desired.
- Explore my method of painting.
- Sand and paint the finished clay figure
COURSE OPENS JULY 5th
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $69
EARLY BIRD - $49
DESCRIPTION OF LESSONS
In this mini course, we will be creating one sculpture, but Kathy will show you a couple of ideas for other sculptures using the same process. The process for this sculpture is quite different than what Kathy has taught in the past. To start, you will discover where to find dolls to use for these projects. Next, watch as Kathy prepares the doll, creates the armature and attaches the doll to the new body, adds antlers, and a clay suit to the armature. Finally, watch as Kathy paints the sculpture creating a brand new fun and inspiring being! This mini course is sure to inspire all kinds of beautiful new creatures!
In this course you will learn to create the Centaur, but Kathy will also share images of other creatures built in a similar way, along with paint colors and ideas to help you get creative with your own creatures! The following images are not taught in the course, but are others that Kathy has created.
COURSE OPENS JULY 5th!
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $69
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION - $49
MEET KATHY LEWIS - ARTIST/INSTRUCTOR
I began taking online art classes, met Kara Strachan Bullock, and took almost all of the workshops she hosted at her local studio. I was in heaven to have this new friend and later her wonderful studio located less than 20 minutes from home! I also continued online courses and have been inspired by many incredible clay artists! When working with clay I felt a peace and joy unlike anything ever before experienced. I have not put it down in more than five years and continue to find great pleasure in creating with clay. It is my 'go to' art medium. I create purely from the heart having had no formal sculpting education and somehow I am afraid to pursue the art of sculpting in a formal way because I am afraid it would ruin the freedom with which I create. I hope to spread the joy of creating in clay, something that young and old, beginner and experienced can enjoy. I hope you can experience the feeling I heard in my granddaughter's comment recently when she said, "Grandma, I am so happy making this (clay sculpture). It is the most wonderful thing I have ever made."
PRIVATE GROUP JUST FOR YOU!
This course will have a private Facebook group just for you! The artist will be actively involved with the class via Facebook the first four weeks the course is open! After that the course will be a self-study. The artist may or may not be involved after the four weeks. We are looking forward to seeing your artwork!
Below is a list of the supplies that I will be using for the projects in this course. However, you are always encouraged to use what you have on hand.
- Toy doll like Monster High doll (11inches) : check eBay, get dolls with moveable elbows, arms, hands
Tools and Wire
- Wooden Sculpting Tools
- Xiem Pottery Tools (optional but useful)
- Silicone sculpting tools and dotting tools set (optional but useful)
- Feather wire texture tool (good to have)
- Wire cutter (crafty type, a really good one that cuts like butter is made by knipex, I have style 71 01 200 but they are expensive. Amazon has them but not needed, craft type will do)
- Needle nose pliers (small craft type)
- Rebar Tire Wire (I used 16 gauge)
- Paint, any acrylic paint you like. I use golden in these colors:
- Titanium White - fluid or heavy body
- Red Oxide
- Pyrrole Red
- Burnt Umber Light
- Raw Umber
- Payne’s Gray
- Yellow Oxide or Yellow Ochre
- Naples Yellow Hue
- Mars Yellow
- If you want to have some metallic spots you can use Golden heavy body Iridescent bronze (fine).
- I am using transparent shading gray (Golden High Flow Acrylic) a lot lately!
***Your paint can be heavy body or fluid but be sure you at least have white and black in fluid. Some additional colors I use (not required but I like them) Matisse Australian Ghost Gum, and I am also loving Jo Sonja’s warm white and sapphire. These are the colors I am using but you do not need to get them all. Just use what you have. NOTE: Jo Sonja paints are matte paints and very reasonably priced.
- Paint Brushes - Blick Scholastic brushes are cheap and work well, include detail and mid size. Here are some I like:
- Permanent (waterproof) fine liner in size 0.2 or 0.5 or similar. I use UniPen or micron but there are many other good brands
- Black gesso
- Ball tool stylus
- Small piece of sand paper ( 220 or 330 grit)
- Masking tape (lots, get a good sticky one, I use this)
- A few round toothpicks
- Paper towels and/or baby wipes
- Wax Paper
- Parchment paper
- 2 large size zip lock bags
- Small fine mist sprayer for water
- Protective vinyl gloves
- xacto knife with blade
- Container for water
- Palette: I use recycled food containers, paper plates, prepared palette paper, or use whatever you like to put your paints on.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON ACCESSING CLASSES AND SELLING WORK CREATED IN THIS COURSE:
**Upon purchasing your course, you will be asked to create an account and go through the purchase process (even if the cost is $0 for a free course). If you have already created an account, after purchase your course will IMMEDIATELY be available under “LOGIN” at the top right-hand of karabullockart.com.
**If your course does not show up, please email us at email@example.com
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of the course, all purchases are nonrefundable.
**Please talk to the artist of the course about his/her policy on selling artwork created in this course prior to selling any works created during course. Some artists will allow it, while others do not. Thank you for your support.