BENEATH THE SKIN
- Self-Study Course
- Instructor – Jen Starling
- 6+ Hours of Instruction
- Lifetime Access/Downloadable Content
- Course Price – $99
Are You Ready to Explore Different Creative Choices to Develop Unique Paintings? Would You Like to Experiment with Color, Pattern, Scumbling and Glazing?
Take a deep dive into a unique process that uses old techniques to create new contemporary work! This course will guide you, step by step, through an innovative process that uses color, pattern, fundamental drawing skills, scumbling, and glazing to create expressive portraits. The first layer of the painting uses stencils to create a colorful pattern that will be seen within the portrait. Spray paint OR acrylic paint can be used for this initial stage, after which oil paint is used to build the portrait. You will witness two projects that each combine realism and YOUR creative choices to develop whimsical unique paintings.
By the end of this course students will have an understanding of the following concepts:
- Create a vision: What are you going for?
- Use complimentary colors as the foundation for your color palette
- Learn spray paint and acrylic application as it applies to this process
- Practice pattern equalization using stencils
- Understand how to use plum lines and measurements to create realistic structure
- Work using the sight size method to achieve proper proportions
- Use at least three values to create form
- Practice transparent paint application without using a medium
- Define light shapes, and soft transitions into darker values
COURSE IS OPEN - SELF-STUDY
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $99
DESCRIPTION OF LESSONS
This course is comprised of two main painting projects. In each of these tutorials, follow along with Jen as she completes these beautiful, contemporary portraits. Throughout these tutorials we will establish a direction or vision for the piece, color palette, and pattern layout. Explore paint application using spray paint, and acrylic using stencils to create our patterns. Choose whether you prefer to use spray paint or acrylic paint for this stage in the process. Finally, learn how to prep your portrait surfaces for oil paint.
Next, move on and learn how to use dark paint and work reductively to pull away light shapes, which will unearth your portrait! Discover how to use plumb lines and measuring to articulate proportions and structure. In addition, learn how to use three values to define form. Experiment with scumbling and glazing to create really interesting effects in your portraits! Jen will show you her secrets to making this work! Learn to shift between opaque and transparent layers. Finally, in the second tutorial, watch as Jen trouble shoots by adding patterns, sanding, and glazing to get the desired look! There is so much to learn to create new and exciting contemporary portraits!
COURSE IS OPEN - SELF STUDY
Lifetime Access - Download All Content
Cost - $99
MEET JEN STARLING - ARTIST/INSTRUCTOR
Jen focused seriously on ballet and modern dance throughout her childhood and adult life. She has a BA in Performance Art from the University of MD, and danced professionally for many years. She dabbled in visual art from a young age, but has very little formal training. In May 2015 she took an art class that awoke her creative nature, and propelled her into the world of two dimensional art. No stranger to discipline, she has dedicated herself to learning from many accomplished artists, a demanding studio practice, and managing her business, “Jen Starling Art”. In addition, Jen has an elementary teaching license, and has taught youth and adults in numerous settings for the last twenty years. She currently teaches art classes at the Art Student League and Curtis Art Center in CO.
MORE ART BY JEN
PRIVATE GROUP JUST FOR YOU!
This course will have a private Facebook group just for you! This course is a self-study, so the teacher may or may not be active in the group. However, students still sign up and you can see past and present work and comments.
Below is a list of the supplies that I will be using for the projects in this course. However, you are always encouraged to use what you have on hand.
12”x 12” Panel (gessoed) - smooth surface such as MDF, hardboard, or wood (one for each project)
Spray paint OR acrylic paint
- Dark purple
- Charcoal Grey (Winsor Newton)
- Zinc White
- Flesh Ochre
- Manganese Blue (Holbein)
- Quinacridone Opera (Holbein)
- Winsor Red deep (Winsor & Newton)
- Green Gold
- Brushes for acrylic application-large and medium size cheap house - paint or craft brushes, small roller by ArtMinds
- Brushes-bristle brushes, and soft brushes sizes 0-6. I like Robert Simmons and Isabey brushes.
- Stencils of your choice
- Blue painters’ tape (I would not skimp here. Cheap brands are hard to work with)
- Cardboard to cover edges of stencil
- Clear Gesso
- Cheap sponge brush to apply gesso (can be washed and reused)
- Glazing medium - I’m using Gamblin Solvent-Free Fluid Alkyd Painting Medium
- Gamsol or solvent of your choice
- Paper towels
- Catalyst Wedge
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON ACCESSING CLASSES AND SELLING WORK CREATED IN THIS COURSE:
**Upon purchasing your course, you will be asked to create an account and go through the purchase process (even if the cost is $0 for a free course). If you have already created an account, after purchase your course will IMMEDIATELY be available under “LOGIN” at the top right-hand of karabullockart.com.
**If your course does not show up, please email us at [email protected]
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of the course, all purchases are nonrefundable.
**Please talk to the artist of the course about his/her policy on selling artwork created in this course prior to selling any works created during course. Some artists will allow it, while others do not. Thank you for your support.