The Beautiful Struggle
What is it like to have an art studio in the home that you grew up in? How do you balance life with art, especially when your art depends on being in the presence of your family? How do you choose where to invest your creativity? If any of these topics resonate with you, you’ll love my guest today! I am interviewing Colby A. Sanford!
Colby A. Sanford is a figurative realist painter with a heart for finding poetry in the prosaic. Growing up in an unconventional home, he was encouraged to paint on the walls of his bedroom and later lived in a yurt. His most precious moments are spent at home with his wife and two daughters, often baking oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Working in a restricted acrylic paint palette, Sanford is able to highlight beauty in the mundane. Many works are paired with short-form poetry that serves to further parse extraordinaries from the commonplace of everyday life.
In this conversation, Colby shares about the importance of sharing time with his family to inspire his work, which he refers to as "the beautiful struggle". He discusses what life has been like during pandemic, how life in China informed his artistic journey, and the small moments with his family bring him so much joy. Colby is very down to earth, and I enjoyed getting to know him on a more personal level. I believe you will, too!
Colby creates paintings inspired by the world around him, mostly his wife and two daughters.
"I love, love, love painting! But, I also love spending time with my family. I think I could spend a lifetime doing each."
-COLBY A. SANFORD
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- Colby's wife and daughters
- Living in a yert as a child
- Life in China
- What Colby calls the beautiful struggle
- Colby's upcoming show at Meyer Gallery
GROW THE PODCAST
I would love if you could help our podcast to continue to grow! You can do this in three ways!
- SUBSCRIBE - Subscribing is easy! Just click the button in your podcast player to be notified of new episodes! We are currently listed on iTunes, Google Podcasts, and Spotify.
- SHARE - If you enjoy an episode, please share with your friends, write a post about it, or share on Instagram. We want to bring these stories to more listeners and every share counts!
- REVIEW - We always appreciate a 5 STAR REVIEW on iTunes! This helps other listeners to find us and connect with our community! We appreciate your help!
Sign up with your email address to be the first to know about upcoming online classes, in-person workshops, free lessons, give aways and more!
(YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE A 30% DISCOUNT ON SELECT CLASSES!)