- Registration Open – Limited to 12
- Instructor: Kathy Lewis
- Dates: July 19-21
- Materials: Listed on registration page
- Cost – $399
Would you like to learn how to make your very own bird sculptures out of paper clay? Did you know that you can create sculptures out of clay without needing to fire them in a kiln?! It is true!!
Join Kathy Lewis in this two and a half day workshop where she will teach you how to create several different types of birds! You will learn how to make a variety of bird legs and bird armatures. You will leave this workshop with a very good understanding of how to make a variety of birds unique to your own style of art!
Friday, Day 1:
- 9:00 – 3:30 - Workshop
We jump right in creating legs for a crow or raven. Before lunch we will complete at least one armature. After lunch we will apply clay to the armature and we hope to complete this phase of the bird so that it will have time to dry for day three of our workshop. We will begin our owl armature, time permitting.
Saturday, Day 2:
- 9:00 – 3:30 - Workshop
- You will learn more than one way to create a face. We will have some fun with colorful modeling clay that does not dry out for practice. I will demo how to create a people face in case you ever want to make a bird with a different face at home (or this afternoon). We will complete the owl armature and perhaps have time to apply clay. We will take a look at how to create some adornments for birds such as spiked collars, little birdies, beanies and crowns. If our birds have dried enough we will sand them for painting on Day three (otherwise we sand next morning).
Sunday, Day 3:
- 9:00 – 12:00 - Workshop
This day is devoted to painting our birds. I begin with a reminder demo and then you will work on your birdies until they are finished. I will then discuss how to fix breakages and make corrections, even after the bird has dried fully. Other than wire legs and the internal armature that is made of paper and sometimes foil, my birds are made completely out of air dry clay. You will learn that any bird can be made into a wonderful little creature that you will love! I plan to get all of us to the end of a creation (maybe two!) because it is the way you will learn NOT to ever give up on a clay creation too early. Some of my ugliest in the beginning have been my most beloved critters in the end. I can’t wait to tell you all about them!
Registration is Open! Limited to 12 Students!
July 19-21, 2019
- Wooden Sculpting Tools
- Air dry Clay
- Tiny rubber stamps (stars, hearts, etc.) I will have some to share
- Paper towels and baby wipes
- Wax paper
- 2 large size zip lock bags
- Small fine mist sprayer for water
- 16 gauge wire - Jack Richeson works great!
- Thinner wire in color
- Wire cutter (little crafty type)
- Needle nose pliers (small craft type)
- Small piece of sand paper (220 grit)
- Masking tape
- Paint - any acrylic paint you like. I like the following:
- Paint brushes - Blick Scholastic brushes are cheap and work well
- Note: I sometimes like to use silicone face molds (about 1 inch more or less) but you do not have to buy them. You can make a face without a mold. But if you have them for doll making or cake making, bring them.
Kara Bullock Art Studio
145 W. Main St. Suite 110
Tustin, CA 92780
*FREE PARKING - located at studio
Airport Information and Other Hotel Accommodations Nearby:
- You will fly into John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California
- Hotels within ten minutes include:
- Embassy Suites has a shuttle service that runs from 5am to 11pm. Embassy Suites and Country Inn both offer complimentary breakfast. Transportation is not included at Double Tree or Country Inn, but Uber and/or Lyft are affordable and used regularly.
Workshop Policies: Due to limited class size, payment is non-refundable, but may transferable, keep reading. If you purchase a workshop and are unable to attend, AND if there is a wait list for the course, we will put you in contact with the first person on the wait list for the workshop. If that person agrees, he/she can pay you for your spot in the course. Once that transaction is completed, we will substitute that person for your spot in the course. If you are unable to attend the workshop, and the workshop has not sold out with a wait list, we will not be able to refund your purchase.